Nightly Meeting notes: Saturday March 24, 2012 9:00 PMPosted: March 25, 2012
Agenda (not followed in this order, just discussion topics)
- Logistics for tonight
- Assess what we did today
- What happens after Monday?
- Had a march at 2:30
- Fliered on campus, with drums etc
- Paid respsects at demolition site
- Marched to 3333 Broadway
- St. mary’s community came and recited Fredrick Douglas poem
- connected with a lot of new people
- this is slow but we are starting to make a presence
- we should be more self critical because we are not very visible, and we need to do face to face outreach
- how do we handle tactically and ideologically with wall street?
- What were the student’s reactions?
- pretty good but hard to get people out of comfort zone.
- Proposal: have an informational flyer with ways people can show support
- Proposal: use the lawn outside of math to do some sort of follow up after the forum
- A speak out?
- Guerrilla theater
do a news show at wkcr
- What did we learn from outreach to the community?
- From tenants organization: gentrification is going to leave all the housing projects marooned and ready for takeover.
TONIGHT: RAIN: all night work-in!!
TOMORROW: outreach for the forum.
3 PM meet at occupation and march to campus, bring printed flyers and music making tools!
Some notes on a long unstructured conversation: what it means to occupy, what is community, which community, etc. Articulated a difference between this occupation and others, general sentiment that primary goal is listening to and supporting the community: community consists of the people who interact with the space threatened by columbia’s plans. We are not taking over the building, we need to respect the space.